Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Irritating, very irritating

The last two days I've been tiling and grouting a bathroom and shower. Caroline did all the bathrooms in the gites and never complained once. She just got on with it whilst I did other things. This time I thought I would have a go. As a first time tiler I asked Caroline's advice and (being a bloke) obviously ignored it. Mistake number 1. The job took me all day and made me ache everywhere. I tried various techniques and eventually settled on the one suggested by Caroline. As a first time grouter I again asked Caroline's advice and (still a bloke) ignored it again. Big mistake number 2. I tried grouting with a big rubber squidger thingy, but reverted (as advised) to a Marks & Spencer store charge card. The perfect implement. I also omitted to wear the rubber gloves, and now I'm typing in agony, with no fingerprints and large sections of skin missing from my fingers covered in band-aid.

The packet of grout said it was an irritant, and they were right, it's very irritating.

No comments: