Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Tonsillectomy

Spent 23€ today for a visit to the hospital in Dinan today for a consultation with the anaesthetist in preparation for having my tonsils removed next week. George Washington died of a quinsy. That is the reason for my tonsillectomy, several quinsies (hospitalised) and bad throat infections.

Apparently it's going to be very painful, the doctor said I may be sent home with a morphine pump thingy, and I was to rest with no work for 10 days. Thats lots of time on the beach. Get well cards are welcome.

In France you have to pay for all your health care (the doctor costs 20€ in cash) but then you can reclaim up to 100% depending on your insurance covers. Americans may be used to this kind of thing, but as a ex-pat from the United Kingdom, I used to EVERYTHING being free courtesy of the National Health Service. As it happens my experience of the French system is far more favourable than the UK system, but you mileage may vary (as they say).

A small break in blogging but at least it will give me a chance to catch up on some reading and watch some French television in hospital.

No comments: