Friday, June 04, 2004

Mowing marathon

No more progress on the Fireplace, the exploding toilet and todays mowing marathon saw to that. I've spent just about all day mowing the grass and strimming edges today and I'm ready for a beer and bed. I think I must have had a reaction to grass pollen, because my eyes are very sore and puffy and I feel rotten. Having a big garden (2 hectares) is great for the guests staying in the gites but at this time of year it's a full time job. Even though I've got a monster ride-on mower with a 48 inch (1.2 meter) cut it still takes most of the day. Normally we would cut a quarter or a third each day and rotate round to break it up, but various other jobs and interruptions (and fantastic growing weather) has meant we had to do it all today. Tomorrow (Saturday) we have three changeovers for the new guests in the gites (which takes most of the day) and on Sunday you are not really allowed to mow because of noise pollution laws in France, so the next opportunity would be Monday, which would mean the grass would be getting too long to leave the clippings on the ground. A little and often (like most things in life) is best.

No comments: