Monday, July 05, 2004

French plumbing

Got the sacrificial magnesium anode that I ordered ready to fit to the hot water boiler. At the beginning of this year we had a real problem with the hot water flow rate. It started slowing down then the rate of decline really accelerated over about 1 month until the flow rate was almost down to a trickle. A plumbing friend fixed the problem by clearing out the internal pipes in the boiler that were completely clogged up with hard water deposits. In Les Champs Géraux we seem to have very hard water. The new magnesium anode (which is about 2 foot long) is meant to stop the build up as it 'erodes' away. I wonder how long the old one is ?

Anyway, I dare not change the anode today because I'm off to hospital to have my tonsils out tomorrow, and if I have a problem with the boiler I doubt Caroline will want to be lumbered with fixing it. She will be busy painting the windows whilst I'm recuperating :-) I should only be in a couple of nights but I taking the following books, because there is only so much French television one can watch. I've nearly finished

Finished sanding all the windows at the front of the house. On one of the windows, part of the window sill and some of the frame in the corner had all rotted away. I bought this 'synthetic wood' (mastic polyester pour bois), brown quick setting polyester resin, to patch it up. Good as new and much cheaper than a new window.

 

Found an excellent page by the French road safety department, giving good practical basic driving advice, in English, for UK drivers coming to France.

No comments: